14 Summer Maintenance Tips
The days are warming up and sun is starting to make a regular appearance. Summer is upon us and we’d like to remind property owners and tenants of a few basic safety precautions and preventative maintenance tips:
1. Inspect the deck or patio for possible deterioration and safety hazards such as loose boards and protruding nails.
2. Check electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Do not overload electrical outlets, fuse boxes, extension cords or other power service.
3. Verify all window and door locks are functioning correctly.
4. Inspect all window and door screens for holes.
5. Carefully inspect toilets. Look for erosion of plastic floater valves and check all pipe connections for leaks.
6. Use caution and do not overwork your heat pump. If it is hot out and the thermostat is set too low it could freeze-up the coil and stop producing cold air.
7. Clean or replace furnace filters monthly.
8. Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space under the dryer. Remove all lint, dust and pieces of material. Always remember to clean the lint trap after each use.
9. Inspect washing machine hoses and replace any that show signs of wear or leakage.
10. Make sure vegetation or foliage is not growing against the structure(s) as this can damage the paint and siding and may even cause rot over time.
11. If barbeques are permitted at the property they should only be used in an open area.
12. Always keep ground-level windows closed and locked at night as an extra safety precaution.
13. Do not use a weed-eater or lawnmower on extremely dry, dead grass after 11am to reduce fire
14. Verify your fire extinguisher works properly and is easily accessible in an emergency.
All pools, including above-ground pools should be secured from young children and the general public. We hope you’ll find these tips helpful.